Sharpie Mug

118 Flares Twitter 9 Facebook 105 Pin It Share 0 Google+ 4 Email -- Filament.io 118 Flares ×

It seems the hot new thing going around on Pinterest are sharpie mugs so I thought I’d give it a go. I remember as a child my mom bought kits that you colored on the picture frame or mug with special crayons then poped in the oven to bake your art on. So I thought this must be along the same lines, just a cheaper way of doing it. Since we already had tons of Sharpie markers and when I stopped in the dollar store I picked up two white mugs for only a buck each. I thought for $2 why not?!

Supplies

• Mug {$1 at Dollar store}
  • Sharpie Markers
For my mug I decided to draw the skyline of downtown Columbus, Ohio so first I drew it out on the mug. {you can try to use a pencil to sketch but it doesn’t show up too well} I found putting a piece tape around the bottom helped keep my city from looking like it was going down hill.
Next I filled in my drawing and went back to straighten lines.
After my drawing was finished we baked our mugs at 350 degrees for 30 minutes then let cool.
The great thing about this project {other then only being $2} is it’s also great fun for kiddos. Miss. A had a lot of fun writing and drawing all her favorite things. After we were done even Mr. N asked if he could do one. I think these would be great even for Christmas presents to grandparents.

After reading online some people said the sharpie marker came off in the dishwasher. So for these mugs I plan on hand washing them.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...Pin It
This entry was posted in Crafts/DIY. Bookmark the permalink.

19 Responses to Sharpie Mug

1. Alicia says:

That is a great idea! Though I’m not sure I’d be able to pull it off:)

2. Melissa says:

I love this, what a fun idea!

3. Love this idea! I will have to try it out with my two year old.

4. julieann r says:

These look like a great and economical craft for the kids to do on Mother’s Day or Father’s Day at church.

5. My entire family is a bunch of big coffee drinkers, so I think I may have found the best (and cheapest) way to mark everyone off the Christmas list!

6. What a fun idea! I love the skyline you did!
    Kas

7. Jessica A says:

What a great gift idea! I’m thinking Father’s Day next year… :)

8. What a great idea! I’ve heard about this with plates, but never thought to do it on a mug!

9. Hal says:

I tried this. It looked great but when I hand washed them the marker came off with a dish cloth. Any ideas???

• admin says:

It may depend on the mug to be honest. we’ve put one in the dishwasher a couple times to test it out & it sorta came off/faded. However hand washing seems to work fine for us.

10. shannon says:

If you use a marker made for ceramics and bake it on then you can wash without worries :)

11. Laurie Wynne says:

I have seen this on another web site and they suggested covering the art with a clear sealer. Then you could put them in the dishwasher. Cute idea!

12. Pingback: Top 5 Posts in 2012 | Lillian McKay

13. Tracey Rauch says:

I was wondering if you could do this on lets say mason jars instead of a ceramic mug? Anyone have any ideas??

14. jaimee says:

I tried this and red went orange and green went vomit colour… Can someone tell me what went wrong?

• admin says:

To be honest I’m not sure how the colors changed & I haven’t stumbled across anyone else with that issue. Anyone have any ideas?

15. Cheryl osborn says:

I tried this with my grandson, after 2 handwashings the markers started washing off. Disappointed, his art work was so nice. I did bake for 30 min as instructed.