DIY Chalkboard Sign

21 Flares Twitter 7 Facebook 11 Pin It Share 0 Google+ 3 Email -- Filament.io 21 Flares ×

When redecorating a great little tip is to try and reuse {Upcycle} what you already have on hand. Another great tip is when you find items on clearance use your creative eye to see if you can use its “bones” for a new project. With both of those tips in mind after Christmas at Target I was able to pick up a few {4+} Christmas signs at 70% off. They ended up being under $1 each and I loved the shape. Which to be honest is something I would have no idea how to cut out of wood. {me & power saws are not friends} So with these signs just sitting in my future project pile I finally decided while redecorating our laundry room to make one into a chalkboard sign. Here’s what you will need…

• Wooden Sign
  • Ribbon
  • Chalkboard Paint
  • Brush
  • Glue Gun
  • Elmer’s Double Sided Tape Permanent {optional}

First I cut off the old red ribbon and started to paint the sign with chalkboard paint, as directed per the paint bottle. {mine recommended that you paint horizontal wait an hour then paint vertical then let dry for 24 hours.}

Next I ran new green ribbon through the holes and attached it using Elmer’s Double Sided Tape Permanent {you could always tie it instead}

After the ribbon was attached I made a simple bow to add a little extra something to my new sign.

The whole project {including the sign} cost under $6 and it was a great way to upcycle something old into something new.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...Pin It
This entry was posted in Crafts/DIY, Home. Bookmark the permalink.

11 Responses to DIY Chalkboard Sign

1. Nichol says:

I have never worked with chalkboard paint yet, but his project is easy! I want one for my kitchen!

2. Lolo says:

This is so cute and such a great idea!

3. Hanan says:

So cute, I need one of those!

4. I love this idea! I’m off to look for some cute signs…

5. Bobbie says:

I LOVE this!! I love picking up things and making them something else. Sadly my craft pile gets over full before I get to tackle everything. I think I am going to be on the look out though, these would make cute gifts! We have chalk board paint already for another project. I need to use it up!

6. That looks super easy to do AND creative!
    Kas

7. That is really cute and looks pretty easy. I’m not very crafty but I just might attempt this!

8. Kerri says:

I love it! What a great idea. I will have to hit the after holiday sales.

9. Michele says:

Love it! I just bought chalkboard spray paint before I thought of a craft! This is perfect.

10. Patty says:

I LOVE this do-it-yourself craft idea! Perfect for the upcoming holidays, and something simple anyone can do! Thanks for sharing! I am definitely going to try and make these!

11. Love all your diy, crafty goodness! Come pop by sometime & link up if you like. Found you via Social Fabric!